RE: SEAOSC Seminars

From:	Jeff Smith [SMTP:smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 8:19 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: SEAOSC Seminars

I think the point is that a video reproduction is easy to
produce with
relatively less time and resources. Putting seminars on a CD-ROM
in a
format that CD-ROMs lend themself too, such as graphics and
interactive
features takes a lot of effort. I know James has worked on
innovative
approaches to using CD-ROM's for engineering reports, so he has
experience
with this medium. Characterizing his reply as a "lack of vision"
is not
accurate.

Jeff Smith. S.E.
phone: (415) 543-8651
fax: (415) 543-8679
email: smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com

Smith Engineering
27 South Park
San Francisco, CA 94107

[Dennis S. Wish PE]  You can't fault the response if they don't
know James background since he did not take the time to expound
on his remark. Whether Video Taped seminars created outside of a
studio are effective remains to be seen. One reason that I know
of why SEAOSC has not marketed their attempts is because of poor
video and audio when recorded in a large auditorium.
To create a video seminar from a four or six hours long event
may require editing the video down to two hours. Any creation of
a finished product should include appropriate editing which, in
itself, is very time consuming.

As we have seen in the computer industry, technology jumps ahead
almost on a daily basis. James "experience" in this matter may
have changed since he first started to explore CD-ROM
technology. Prices drop, new programs provide increased tools,
distribution cost and hardware drop to meet the personal
markets. My point is that what exists today is probably
radically different that what James experienced six months ago.
Dennis