RE: SEAOSC Seminars

From:	Williston Warren IV [SMTP:billw4(--nospam--at)pbs1.com]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 8:49 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: SEAOSC Seminars

Dennis,

	Do not let my first response give you the impression that I am
not in
favor of your idea, just the learning curve on this one could
stifle the
few that don't understand why the bluebook should be on a CD-ROM
when in
their offices they only use the book version.

	Bill

[Dennis S. Wish PE]  I understand your intentions and appreciate
them Bill. See my last post to you regarding the Subject.
Putting the Bluebook on CD-Rom should be very easy. Adobe makes
a program called Acrobat that creats a format in PDF files. I
think I explained this before. It maintains any formating or
graphics and compiles the literature into a readible format -
Like viewing Time Magazine on a computer screen with an index
and table of content included.
The beauty of the program is the ease in which it works. To
convert the bluebook, which is probably in electronic format as
it is, should be very simple.
I have experimented with putting SEAOC Online on our Web site in
PDF format. Granted, the problems are simply that the other
members of the CAC don't use Pagemaker (desktop publishing
program) that I use to create Online. In Pagemaker, you can
simply save the file in PDF format (there are a few steps
involved, but nothing real complicated).  In Pagemaker 6.0 it
took a PHD to figure out how to convert the file to PDF. In
Pagemaker 6.51, anyone with an IQ over 75 should be able to do
it. Technology changes for the benifit of those willing to buy
the upgrades.
The reason you need to use Adobe Acrobat rather than simply
convert the file from Pagemaker is that Acrobat lets you create
a menu structure for searching the document and it lets you set
up a table of content that looks like a directory tree.
The program costs less than $500.00 and the viewer is free (and
can be included with each cd-rom.
Once the viewer is installed on the users computer, one only
needs to double click on the file and it autostarts the viewer.
I have read documents that are more than eighty pages long with
graphics in PDF format. Very nice. It retains all of the
graphics, formats, colors and any other embellishments. You can
zoom into or out of the screen to read it easier and you can
seach with any word or topic the same as you can with Windows 95
Help files. You can also print sections. The only thing you can
not do is edit the document or convert it to editing.

If they are still stymmied, please recommend they contact me and
I'll be happy to help.

Dennis