RE: SEAOSC Seminars

From:	Williston Warren IV [SMTP:billw4(--nospam--at)pbs1.com]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 8:46 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: SEAOSC Seminars

Dennis
    I am too familiar with the generation of a CD-ROM as you
discussed that
is why I and a few others are pushing SEAOC to provide the
bluebook to ICBO
for inclusion on their CD-ROM, as they have asked and have
offered to
provide royalities for with no expense from either SEAOSC or
SEAOC.

The point I was trying to make, after participating in may
seminar
presentation both for SEAOSC and in litigation cases, the CD-ROM
generation
is an after-market item.  The presentor is difficult enough to
get
committed to being a presentor, let along generate their
presentation on
CD-ROM format.  Most speakers want to use overhead projections
of
transparencies, fewer spend time generating slides and even
fewer generate
a powerpoint slide show let alone a laptop driven show that
integrates
scanning photos, text, etc.

This application would be good for after-market memorialization
of great
topics or speakers, structural dynamics by George Housner, etc.
 To ask 5
to 10 presentor to learn this presentation format is asking too
much, when
the speakers are not paid.  Getting the speakers to generate a
powerpoint
generation is very difficult, and it will take SEAOSC providing
powerpoint
seminars for speakers.

	Bill Warren

[Dennis S. Wish PE]  You are correct, but we are still not
talking about apples and apples. I am suggesting marketing a
CD-ROM seminar or presentation to be viewed by only one person
at a time in the privicy of their own home or office.
I may be in the wrong direction, but I think you are refering to
using taped video presentations to recreate the seminar at a
different location without the speakers. In this way a large
company can recreate a SEAOSC presentation from the Unical
Building and put it into a conference room at DWP or Parsons.
There is a large percentage of independents and small offices
that only want a personalized copy of the seminar to view at
their leasure. However, this market represents thousands.
>From a marketing standard, selling 3000 CD-ROMS at $50.00 each
will yield more profit to SEAOSC than selling 100 tapes and
renting out the equipment to reproduce seminars in front of 300
or more people. The numbers are a bit skewed, but I think you
may better see my point.
One of the difficulties that we seem to have on this list is
differentiating from the needs of a small office (one or more
persons) and a large office (more than 100). We offten think we
are speaking of similar issues, but the needs of each may be
entirely different. I belive that it is important to understand
this.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm on a soapbox again, but I did not
think we were discussing the same issues.

Thanks again for your responses Bill,

Dennis