Spiral tie reinforcing

I am detailing spiral ties for drilled piers with seismic forces.  It's been
a while since I've detailed spirals, and I can't find a copy of ACI 315
detailing manual right now.  I'm wondering about a few things.

1.  Would spiral ties be smooth wire (ASTM A82) or deformed wire (ASTM ???).
 I think smooth wire is typically used.

2.  If so, how would you splice smooth wire?  Is a lap splice OK?  Is 48 bar
diameters enough?   In ACI-318, Chapter 12, I can only find splice
guidelines for deformed bars and smooth wire fabric.

3.  My instincts tell me you should weld smooth bar splices.   ASTM A82
doesn't come out and say that the wire is weldable (no chemical properties
listed), but I assume you go straight to ASTM A185 for WELDED wire fabric
and know that you can weld it.

Steve Uthoff