Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Change in Rules for SE License in Washington State

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The Board of Registration in Washington State  may change the rules for
obtaining a structural engineers license in our State.   For several years
they have allowed engineers with six years of structural experience to take
the Western States (California) Structural examination.  Washington (and
California) may adopt the structural examination prepared by the National
Council of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveyors.

Opinions and facts relating to the following questions may help the Board
reach a rational decision on licensing requirements:

1) What facts or statistics on structural failures versus years of
experience justify requiring six years of experience versus say four or
eight years before an individual can sit for the SE exam? 

2) What makes structural engineering in Washington different from structural
engineering in other states? Other states require only four years before an
individual can take the SE exam (if they even have one.) 

3) What makes structural engineering different from other types of
engineering?  Generally other disciplines require four years of experience
before taking the PE license exam.

4) Why does the state require some one who works primarily in structural
engineering to obtain registration as a civil engineer before having the
chance to take the SE exam?

5) How does the National SE exam compare with the California exam?  Can the
California exam be considered a "barrier to entry" (anti-competitive
practice) working against individuals who have not passed the California Exam?
Mark Oakford, P.E.  oakfordm(--nospam--at)
P.O.Box 24417, Federal Way WA  98093-1417
T 253-927-6169  F 253-838-3823