Re: Via con dios, mi amigos

To further illustrate (a portion of) my mentality, I have chosen to boycott
Major League Baseball since the strike of 1994. I decided that, even though
I have no control or influence over owners or players, I can choose not to
subject myself to the whims of those in control. I will continue to boycott
MLB until three things happen:

1.    Future strikes will not threaten the World Series.
2.    The designated hitter is eliminated.
3.    Pete Rose is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

This example is used to illustrate that, while I continue to have passion
and conviction, this is not a position of apathy. On the contrary, I
selectively choose issues where I feel I can participate and effect change
which promotes personal satisfaction and self interest. Selfish? Sure. I
have no problem owning up to that label. I also believe I am not the only
one guilty of this phenomenon. I am certain I am not the only one who was a
big fan of baseball but no longer participates. This phenomenon can also be
seen at voter turnout in recent years.

When I first started participating on this listserv, most folks did not know
who I was. A few people even e-mailed me to ask me if I was a member of
seaoc and if I was a licensed structural engineer. The reason for this was
that I dropped out of participation during the early 90s. Sure, I did the
dinner meeting thing, the seminar thing (even the committee thing, Frank
Lew). After the Northridge E/Q and prior to subsequent code rewrites, I sent
a letter to the president of seaosc letting him know some of my opinions
about some of the things that could/should be included to mitigate future
damage. Regardless of the quality of my comments, I did take the time to
write a two or three page letter. I was disappointed in that I did not even
get a response. So, while seaoc is considering how to justify raising its
dues, I am reflecting on the worth of membership after 17 years. IMHO (O.K.,
not so H), seaoc looks a lot like MLB.

I just want to let everyone who has participated on this listserv that I
have appreciated and value all of the acquaintances I've made. While I am
quite aware that most folks do not agree with what I have to say (this is
not a requirement for me stating my opinion), I do hope I have helped in
getting people to think. I will be checking back in from time to time, but
now I've got to go to the driving range.

My Best Regards,
Bill Allen