seaoc Digest for 13 Nov 1997 -Reply

You wrote:

<<<<Hello fellow Engineers,
I am currently working on a 4-story unreinforced brick building that was
rehabilitated to comply with Div.88 of  the city of Los Angeles. We are
now doing some interior remodeling and upgrading utility systems to this
building. But I am wondering if anybody has worked out something to add
more strenght and safety to this kind of building besides its compliance
with Div.88. The building reveals several large cracks on the exterior
face that were patched up or regrouted with new bricks.
How about an additional 4-inch thick shotcrete to the exterior face of
the entire building or new steel frames installed inside the building ?
I would appreciate any information regarding practicality, cost,
structural capacity, detailing, or general pitfalls when considering
these alternatives.

Tin Dinh,
The biggest pitfall when evaluating an existing building is not understanding how the
building will perform in an earthquake.  There are several documents that you can get from
FEMA on the methods and costs of rehabilitating existing buildings, but these documents
can't tell you what to do for a particular building.  If you want better performance than the
Minimal Life Safety afforded by Division 88, then you need to analyze the building for real
earthquake forces, accounting for damping and energy dissipation, to see how it behaves.
FEMA 273 is the only document that has any such guidance for URM buildings, but
unfortunately it is not ready for general use.  Until it is published, your are on your own.

Brian Kehoe
BEK(--nospam--at)WJE.COM