Re: APA EWS PRI 400 Wood Joists

From: Jeff Smith <smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Wednesday, November 19, 1997 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: APA EWS PRI 400 Wood Joists
>Regarding camber, I had a discussion with the local rep a while back. My
>recollection is that they use to camber wood I joists on a special order. I
>believe the open web joists can still be cambered (anyone  know?). When
>using long spans for a combination roof and ceiling joist, there can be
>perceptable deflections. So if you want a dead level ceiling, you may need
>to isolate the roof and ceiling, or furr it level after the majority of
>dead load is applied. Floors have a much higher live load
>deflection/performance criteria so dead load deflections may not be as
>perceptable. I would think that *extremely* deep joists would be required
>to control vibration with 60 foot floor spans.
>Regards,
>
>Jeff Smith. S.E.
>phone: (415) 543-8651
>fax: (415) 543-8679
>email: smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com
>
>Smith Engineering
>27 South Park
>San Francisco, CA 94107

Open Web joists can be ordered with a camber as well as Parallam products.
You must specify the Commercial Parallam for cambering as this becomes a
custom order. I have done this on two jobs. On one, I had to prove it to the
contractor by giving him the name of my TJ rep to confirm this. His supplier
told him it could not be done.
It could, we did and it's done.

Dennis Wish PE