VACATION Survey Summary

I received 19 responses to my request for information to other professional
engineers company policies regarding vacation time.  These came from large
and small firms.  Thanks to all who responded.  Here is a list of the survey
reduce the number of categories.

Category 1 - 1 response (Me)
	0-10 years - 2 weeks
	10-20 years - 2 weeks + 1 day for each year above 10
	4 weeks max.

Category  2 - 2 responses - basically one or two person firms

	2 weeks or whenever the work is slowed down.

Category 3 - 5 responses
	0-10 years - 2 weeks
	10-15 years - 3 weeks
	15+ years - 4 weeks

Category 4 - 2 responses
	0-6 years - 2 weeks
	7-10 years  &  7-15 years - 3 weeks
	10+ years  & 16+ years - 4 weeks

Category 5 - 6 responses
	0-5 years - 2 weeks
	5-10 years - 3 weeks
	10+ years - 4 weeks

Category 6 - 2 responses
	0-3 years - 3 weeks
	4-15 years - 4 weeks
	15+ years - 5 weeks

As you can see, the majority of vacation policies give 3 weeks after 5 years
and so on.  Most of the respondents say that their employers do allow them to
carry over vacation time, though some restrict the maximum allowed.

Well, my job now is to convince my employer to bring me up to the standards
of the profession.  Wish me luck!

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org