Re: Light Fixtures -- Seismic

<< UBC standard 25-2 specifically addressed seismic bracing requirement of
 suspended ceiling and light fixtures( being connected to the ceiling
 system). 1994 UBC's Table 16-O item 2(6) defined "Anchorage of suspended
 ceiling and light fixtures" as one of the nonstructural components
 required to be seismically restrainted.  1997 UBC's Table 16-O further
 clarified that to be "Anchorage and LATERAL BRACING for suspended
 ceiling and light fixtures".

 A General Contractor recently asked me for Code reference regarding
 seismic bracing requirement for independently hung light fixtures
 WITHOUT suspended ceiling.  The reason is that the electrical
 subcontractor insisted on there are no seismic bracing requirement for
 independently hung light fixtures.  I referred the GC to Table 16-O in
 both 1994 & 1997 UBC and insisted that seismic bracing is required for
 independently hung light fixtures as well since the splay wires of the
 suspended ceiling are not there to take the seismic.

 What are your version of reasoning? >>