Re: Rebar welding

Mark,

A706 is the most appropriate reinforcing welding requirements. The A706
specification reads "This material is intended for welding." The chemical
composition results in more ductile mechanical properties as compared to
A615 steel (pretty nice for a drag element).

Caltrans has specified A706 reinforcing for virtually all new concrete
construction for the past five or so  years. Thus it has been readily
available for some time at about a $0.02 per pound premium from A615 GR60.

You can refer to AWS D1.4 for rebar welding requirements. (There is also a
handy "cookbook" of weld lengths for various electrode/plate thickness/bar
size combinations in the PCI Design Handbook 4th Edition p6.58)

Other interesting facts about A706:
1) There is no such thing as #3 A706 bar. The mills only roll #4 and larger.
2) All A706 is grade 60.
3) Yield strength must be at least 60ksi and cannot exceed 78 ksi.
4) Minimum tensile strength must be at least 80ksi and must also be
    at least 1.25 times the yield strength.

Regards,

Brent Koch, P.E.
Livermore, CA