CalTrans Screw Up

I agree 100 percent with Bill Allen.  (Welcome back, Bill.)  If the welds are
acceptable, then the contractor should be paid.  If the welds are
unacceptable, then they should be repaired.  Big question is:  Who is
responsible for the bad welds and/or permitting them to be encased in
concrete, if they are.  If CALTRANS was responsible, then CALTRANS should
pay.  If an independent inspection agency did not stop the contractor from
placing concrete before the welds were corrected, then the independent
inspection agency bears a lot of responsibility.

The thing is, if the welds are inadequate, are we going to read about another
bridge collapse that kills/injures umpteen people when the next earthquake
hits?  Will CALTRANS then defend its actions on economic grounds rather than
safety requirements?

If something is *bad*, then it should be corrected.  If it is good, then it
should be paid for.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona