Re: CalTrans Screw Up

<< Subj:	 CalTrans Screw Up
 Date:	97-11-21 11:34:50 EST
 From:	73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com (Roger Turk)
 Sender:	73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com (Roger Turk)
 Reply-to:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
 To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org

 I agree 100 percent with Bill Allen.  (Welcome back, Bill.)  If the welds
are
 acceptable, then the contractor should be paid.  If the welds are
 unacceptable, then they should be repaired.  Big question is:  Who is
 responsible for the bad welds and/or permitting them to be encased in
 concrete, if they are.  If CALTRANS was responsible, then CALTRANS should
 pay.  If an independent inspection agency did not stop the contractor from
 placing concrete before the welds were corrected, then the independent
 inspection agency bears a lot of responsibility.

 The thing is, if the welds are inadequate, are we going to read about
another
 bridge collapse that kills/injures umpteen people when the next earthquake
 hits?  Will CALTRANS then defend its actions on economic grounds rather than

 safety requirements?

 If something is *bad*, then it should be corrected.  If it is good, then it
 should be paid for.

 A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
 Tucson, Arizona

Roger and Bill....................you got my vote too !!!!!
Antonio S. "Tony" Luisoni
Consulting SE