Re: MISC - Warehouse Storage Rack Shelving

>Storage
>racks are "real" structures and can be damaged in the earthquakes.  I believe
>they should be designed conservately because the spaces between the storage
>racks can be filled with people.
>

>Frank E. McClure   FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com

The contents of the racks could be rather dangerous as well unless there is
somekind of barrier. I have seen locking metal grills for some upper shelf
items at Home Depot, but I am not sure if that is for theft security.
Imagine a 5 gallon bucket of paint landing on your head. Also, storage
racks that are not designed for deflection compatibilty or separation with
adjacent walls can load up walls that were not designed for the increased
out-of-plane forces. Recall the warehouse buildings in Northridge where
sofas were stacked against an out side wall and the wall fell over. Granted
the roof to wall ties and sub diaphragms may have failed anyway, but the
extra load did not help.
Regards,

Jeff Smith. S.E.
phone: (415) 543-8651