Copy of: Underpinning Existing Footings

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:   Kathleen  A. O'Brien, 102166,537
TO:     SEAOC Forum, INTERNET:seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
DATE:   11/20/97 6:59 PM

RE:     Copy of: Underpinning Existing Footings

From:   Kate O'Brien <wildwoman1(--nospam--at)compuserve.com
To:     seaoc.(--nospam--at)seaoc.org

Does anyone have any ideas about underpinning an existing footing when
adding a second story onto an existing first story?

One of the complaints I have had from contractors is that a continuous
underpin is too expensive. In one case we came up with a solution that
involved pouring "spread" underpins at (I think it was) 6 feet on center.
Building and Safety approved it, but I  am wondering if there is a better
solution.