Re: Copy of: Underpinning Ex

Roger Turk wrote:

> Underpinning an existing foundation is tricky and requires a lot of
> engineering judgement.  The structure has to be supported while the soil
> beneath the footing is removed and a new foundation (underpinning) is

Ya know, there is an alternative solution here.  Unfortunately my experience is
only in bridge design, so I can't speak to the efficacy of the method, but there
is a company called Helicoil that makes a corkscrew affair that you can "screw"
into the ground adjacent to existing footings to provide added capacity.  As
these can be installed without excavating the existing foundation, they would
eliminate much of the trouble you describe.  They might be just the thing for
solving this problem.

Nigel