From: Kathleen A. O'Brien <wildwoman1(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
To: INTERNET:seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Sunday, November 30, 1997 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: Underpinning

>> If I recall from the original question, the foundation in question
was just "slightly overstressed". I had assumed that this was based on a
soil bearing pressure of 1,000 PSF. If this is true, I have not had trouble
getting a soils report stating 1,500 PSF was acceptable in _most_ cases.<<

Your recollection is correct. The only problem is that if they don't want
to spend the $$ for the underpinning, they are going to be even less
thrilled about spending the $$ to get a report saying they dont need
underpinning.

What do others do when they have an Owner who:

1. doesn't want to sepnd the $$ for strengthening an existing structure.
2. doesn't want to sepnd the $$ for a professional opinion stating that you
don't need to strengthen.
3. wants to get it built RIGHT NOW??

Kate O'Brien