Re: CalTrans Screw Up/ engineering judgement

We only hear two comments from contractors:

"The building is overdesigned." or "The building is underdesigned."

We never seem to get it just right!  In terms of "discussing" these items,
particulary the "overdesigned" items for the guy who's done it that for 1000
years, I try to use the opportunity to educate him/her on the newest thinking
behind the code or my design and/or experience so that the new,
"overdesigned" method will be with him/her for the next 1000 years.  Or at
least until the next engineer comes along.

Bruce Resnick