Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: CalTrans Screw Up/ engineering judgement -Reply[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
- Subject: Re: CalTrans Screw Up/ engineering judgement -Reply
- From: Tim McCormick <TMCCORMI(--nospam--at)BAS.CI.LA.CA.US>
- Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 11:28:40 -0800
My favorite construction attorney tells me that the minimums of the building code are no defense against liability for construction defects. We cannot hide behind code books when knowledge has evolved between editions or printings. Lessons learned from the Northridge Earthquake cannot be ignored. The standard of care upon which we are judged includes such things as product manufacturer's installation guidelines and how other professionals in our area would "engineer" it. Merely following the minimum standards of the building code is a small rock to hide behind. Just ask the contractors and engineers who have lost in court with this bare defense.
- Prev by Subject: Re: CalTrans Screw Up/ engineering judgement
- Next by Subject: Re: CalTrans/Bill Allen Screw Up
- Previous by thread: Re: CalTrans Screw Up/ engineering judgement
- Next by thread: Advertise on SEAOC Web site