Re: CalTrans Screw Up/ engineering judgement -Reply

My favorite construction attorney tells me that the minimums of the
building code are no defense against liability for construction defects.
We cannot hide behind code books when knowledge has evolved
between editions or printings.  Lessons learned from the Northridge
Earthquake cannot be ignored.

The standard of care upon which we are judged includes such things as
product manufacturer's installation guidelines and how other
professionals in our area would "engineer" it.  Merely following the
minimum standards of the building code is a small rock to hide behind.
Just ask the contractors and engineers who have lost in court with this
bare defense.