CONC. FLAG POLE FOOTINGS

UBC 1921.2.4.1  Requires F'c of 3000 psi (min) in all concrete members
resisting earthquake - induced forces.

I am interested to know what has been your practice in designing flag pole
footings imbedded in soil as a lateral force resisting elements?

Do you use min 3000 psi or less? What is the justification for using
a lower compressive strength?

I have had several discussions with the ACI staff and several structural
engineers and the answers given to me have not been satisfactory yet.

Off course we have the exception for the footings of  all buildings three
stories
and less may have min 2500 psi. Does that also cover grade beams supporting
three story moment frames? (I do not think so)

So put those turkey sandwiches away and lets get a healthy discussion going.

Ara Maloyan  PE