Re: SStud: Need opinions about residential construction and steelstud shearwal

Well, not that it makes me an expert, but I've designed several structures
using plywood shearwalls on gauge framing, using the references that you
mentioned. First off, I use 16 gauge framing for all studs and jambs for
walls upto about 250 lbs/ft. For greater shears. I require 14 gauge material.
Now these gauges are only for the SHEARWALL framing, not non shearwall walls.
I can't imagine any SE worth his salt feeling good about relying on 20 or 18
gauge tension only straps for a structure's lateral system. Empirically
speaking, stud buckling or not, a PLYWOOD wall has to be better than these
straps. Ever seen some of these straps installed? Interestingly enough, I
inspected quite a few of these straps on a construction defect litigation job
I was involved with in the High desert. I think the straps would work great
after the approximately 3 to 5 inches of "play" got taken up. Of course, the
wall top plates have deflected about 6 to ? inches laterally before these
straps activate. Sounds like a great system to me.......
                                        Monte Griffiths, RCE