Re: SStud: Need opinions about residential construction andsteelstud shearwall

I agree with Monty that we have a potential problem with the tension straps
similar to the steel rod X-bracing on hillside houses that failed during the
Northridge Earthquake.

How about using  metal studs as tension X-bracing instead of straps on say an
8 ft long wall section with a double horizontal stud header below the top
track to carry vertical line loads? This will eliminate the slack problem.
Then overdesign the size so we avoid the excessive elongation during an
earthquake.

Ernie Natividad