Re: SStud: Need opinions about residential construction andsteelstud shearwall

Some more input on the steel stud issue:

I have in my possession a fax of an LA City Inter-departmental Correspondence,
dated 11/28/95, revised 12/04/95B, issued to All Plan Check Engineers from Vic
Penera, Chief of the Structural Plan Check Division.

Paraphrasing and editing, it offers the following information as it pertains
to design issues:

1.  The City of LA contact is Colin Kumabe in Room 460B (at least as of that
time).

2.  Screw connectors shall be designed with a Factor of Safety of 4.0 from
test values for both shear and tension.

3.  All steel studs shall be Research Report approved.  ALL STEEL STUDS WHICH
ARE PART OF THE LATERAL RESISTING ASSEMBLY SHALL BE 14 GAUGE.

4. Use Rw=4 for tension only bracing.

5.  Tension only bracing shall NOT be used in downhill structures.

I don't know if this has been subsequently revised and/or formalized.  Perhaps
Tim McCormick can comment on that.  In the meantime, as the memo is only 2
pages long, I am willing to fax it to any interested parties.

Bruce Resnick.