Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: SStud: Need opinions about residential construction andsteelstud shearwall[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
- Subject: Re: SStud: Need opinions about residential construction andsteelstud shearwall
- From: Parkerres <Parkerres(--nospam--at)aol.com>
- Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 10:58:20 EST
Some more input on the steel stud issue: I have in my possession a fax of an LA City Inter-departmental Correspondence, dated 11/28/95, revised 12/04/95B, issued to All Plan Check Engineers from Vic Penera, Chief of the Structural Plan Check Division. Paraphrasing and editing, it offers the following information as it pertains to design issues: 1. The City of LA contact is Colin Kumabe in Room 460B (at least as of that time). 2. Screw connectors shall be designed with a Factor of Safety of 4.0 from test values for both shear and tension. 3. All steel studs shall be Research Report approved. ALL STEEL STUDS WHICH ARE PART OF THE LATERAL RESISTING ASSEMBLY SHALL BE 14 GAUGE. 4. Use Rw=4 for tension only bracing. 5. Tension only bracing shall NOT be used in downhill structures. I don't know if this has been subsequently revised and/or formalized. Perhaps Tim McCormick can comment on that. In the meantime, as the memo is only 2 pages long, I am willing to fax it to any interested parties. Bruce Resnick.
- Prev by Subject: Re: SStud: Need opinions about residential construction andsteelstud shearwall
- Next by Subject: RE: SStud: Need opinions about residential construction andsteelstud shearwalls -Reply -Reply
- Previous by thread: Re: SStud: Need opinions about residential construction andsteelstud shearwall
- Next by thread: flagpole concrete