RE: Housing Performance Objectives

Frank,
What would the public really think if they read that the engineering community plays with their lives and savings as though they were statistics. This is hard reality, granted. We don't tell the general public that they may loose their lives, homes or possession in a storm that is to occur only once in fifty years because we determined that it is most ecconomical to design storm drains for a 50 year storm.
We sell the public as home that is earthquake and wind resistant. They are not aware what this really means, nor are they concerned since they purchase with a basic trust that they are protected by laws. I doubt that they consider that there is a large grey area in the application of these laws that accepts a lower standard of safety because of income. If it were left to me, I would give up my garage (a requirement for even low income housing in my town) to ensure the safety of my family and the least damage to my home.
Dennis Wish PE