Re: Construction method for Second Story Additions

>>Assuming your second story is somewhat "normal", if it were cheaper to
build a
big table over the existing first story without touching it, you would see
this all over town. Since you don't, it 's reasonable to assume that it's
not
really economical to do this<<

A very good point. On the other hand SOMEONE has to be first.

One of the problems we have encountered adding these second stories is that
often one has to strengthen the existing story. Some jurisdictioins do not
require this, but even when they don't I do not think it wise to put a
newer, stiffer story over an older one, especially if it has no existing
ply sheathing or other LFRS. A lot depends upon the age of the existing
structure of course; sometimes this is not a problem.

Which means that construction costs include:

        >Additional trades required to remove stucco, sheetrock, plumbing,
electrical fixtures, etc
        >Housing costs for Owner during all of this; usually they have to
find somwhere else to live.

If we build over the existing story with the post and beam frames, the
Owner can stay put and they avoid paying for additional trades.

>>A second thing to consider in that scheme is that functionally, 99.9% of
the
time you want to connect the first floor to the second with an interior
stair.
This then leads to some minor remodeling in the existing "untouched" first
floor, and starts to structurally tie the two pieces together.  Before you
know it your second floor is sitting right on top of the first floor like
it
really wants to.<<

Also a good point; over time the top story would be sitting on the first
story anyway, wouldn't it? Unless we made that puppy so stiff nothing could
move it.

Innovation is a cool thing and I would really like to try this, but
obviously we need to put more thought into it.

Kate O'Brien, P.E
Simi Valley, CA