Structural Guidelines for Detailing of Cold-Formed Steel Framing

Dear Colleagues,

With all the discussion about steel stud construction, I hope you have a copy
of the SEAOH (Structural Engineers Association of Hawaii) Ad-Hoc Committee
Report, October 1996, "Structural Guidelines for Detailing of Cold-Formed
Steel Framing."
Contact John C. Bravo, email structures(--nospam--at)martinbravochock.com for information
how to obtain this important report.  (Thank you, John Bravo.  I did not have
an email address for the SEAOH or any of the members of the Ad-Hoc Committee.)

I am looking at my copy as I prepare this email message.  The report is
excellent and is well illustrated with excellent graphics.  The report has a
section, "Calculation by Principles of Mechanics" and an Appendix B "Shearwall
Service Loads Values" which discusses the values to used with plywood
sheathing.

It is my humble opinion that every design professional should have this report
in their library.

I am sorry I do not have the complete information on how to obtain this
report.  The report only gives the address of the Structural Engineers
Association of Hawaii, P.O. Box 3348, Honolulu, Hawaii,  96801.  Hopefully,
John Bravo will reply to email messages to him and will post the address and
costs on how to obtain this value report.

It is interesting to note that steel stud construction was used on several
student housing buildings on the Stanford University campus, Palo Alto,
California that were constructed just before or after World War II.  I worked
for a short time for the Soule Steel Company, San Francisco, CA that
fabricated and erected these steel stud buildings that were design by a
Stanford University Professor Bert Wells.

Frank McClure    FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com