Re: Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastics

GERRY LYNN wrote:

> I am investigating the use of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) sheets
> to strengthen or repair Reinforced Concrete beams. What is the position in
> regard to CFRP's use for this purpose in the U.S.?
> Has it been used on any bridge repair? Does anyone know a text that would
> outline the development of Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRP) in the U.S.for
> use in Structural Engineering.

It has been used for this purpose, but the technology is pretty much in the
experimental stage in the US.  A few state Departments of Transportation have
retrofit prestressed concrete beams with CFRP to develop their understanding of
it, but we have no standardized techniques for designing the capacity it will
produce and no knowledge of how it will last under the various climatic regimes
available in the US.  Here in Montana we've been looking at using it, but quite
honestly, we're a little reticent about leaping into what would be a completely
new technology in the state.  The public is remarkably unforgiving about any
mistakes a DOT might make, as you may have noticed from the recent tempest on
this list over CALTRANS' problems with rebar welds.

There's a seminar in January in Arizona that purports to offer a two or
three-day course in design techniques, but I know of no texts on the subject.
Do you know of any texts available whereever you're writing from?

Nigel