Re: Housing Performance Objectives

A concept we have tossed around in the office:

Take cars for example: Both a Chevette and a Volvo meet goverment crash
standards, yet noone expects them to perform the same in a crash.  The public
understands this and will pay the difference for the performance above the
"Code minimum".

The public rarely seems willing to understand and/or pay for similar
performance in a structure. (They will pay for nicer carpet, of course, but
that's a different issue.)  Perhaps we could codify structures into A, B, and
C levels.  "C" level would be code minimum as it exists now.  Levels "A" and
"B" could represent code increases in lateral design (say 25% or 50% more
seismic), and vertical design (higher livel load and/or deflection criteria).
The advantage to codifying this is that the developer/builder/owner could then
legitimately increase the value of the property by saying it was built to code
level "A" or "B" and there would be permits to prove it.  Maybe this would
also increase the public awareness as to what people are buying.

Bruce Resnick