Re: Housing Performance Objectives

I doubt that you'll ever convince the code writers to incorporate anything in the code that is
more than 'minimal requirements'.  Anything above and beyond the minimum is something that is
(and in my opinion should be) between the designer and the owner.  It's our responsibility to
educate the owner of his/her options (and realities regarding code 'minimum') and it's his/her
responsibility to decide what level of performance he/she needs.  We shouldn't be telling the
buyer what he needs.  If the owner wants a Chevette he should be able to get it, and if he wants
a Mercedes he should be able to get it.  There aren't different government regulations for
Chevettes and Mercedes or Volvos, and there should be only one set of building codes.

If published guidelines would help engineers to educate their clients then anyone can publish
them - SEAOC, SERMC, etc.   This doesn't have to be part of the Code.  It could even part of
your own internal office policies.

Lew Midlam, PE
http://www.lcm.com
==============

Parkerres wrote:

> A concept we have tossed around in the office:
>
> Take cars for example: Both a Chevette and a Volvo meet goverment crash
> standards, yet noone expects them to perform the same in a crash.  The public
> understands this and will pay the difference for the performance above the
> "Code minimum".
>
> The public rarely seems willing to understand and/or pay for similar
> performance in a structure. (They will pay for nicer carpet, of course, but
> that's a different issue.)  Perhaps we could codify structures into A, B, and
> C levels.  "C" level would be code minimum as it exists now.  Levels "A" and
> "B" could represent code increases in lateral design (say 25% or 50% more
> seismic), and vertical design (higher livel load and/or deflection criteria).
> The advantage to codifying this is that the developer/builder/owner could then
> legitimately increase the value of the property by saying it was built to code
> level "A" or "B" and there would be permits to prove it.  Maybe this would
> also increase the public awareness as to what people are buying.
>
> Bruce Resnick

begin:          vcard
fn:             lew midlam
n:              ;lew midlam
email;internet: lew.midlam(--nospam--at)lcm.com
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard