Re: MISC - Mill Certification/Higher Yield Stress

<< The levels reported on mill
 test certificates shall not be used as the basis for design."

 CAN/CSA-S16.1-94  5.1.2

 Dave Evans, P.E. >>

Dale:

I wonder could mill test certificates be used as a basis for ANALYSIS?  If you
were checking a field change or fabrication error you might be tempted to use
that little bit extra on occassion.  I know an engineer working for a
fabricator who has done just that.  I don't know of a US (AISC) requirement
that prohibits doing this but it looks like the CSA would frown on such a
practice.

Jan Harris, PE
Virginia Beach, VA