UBC: Inspection/Observation Programs

1994 UBC Section 106.3.5 (hidden in that first volume none of us ever look
at) requires the architect or engineer of record to prepare a detailed
written inspection program for approval as part of the permit process.  I
was asked to prepare such a plan for a project in the City of El Segundo a
couple of months ago.  I did, but am wondering why I've never been asked
before or since, in El Segundo or elsewhere.  I am also wondering whether
ours is the only practice that doesn't routinely provide such a document
with drawings, specifications and calculations.  Does any body out there
have thoughts or comments?

Drew A. Norman, S.E.
Drew A. Norman and Associates