Re: UBC: Inspection/Observation Programs

At 12:12 PM 12/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
>1994 UBC Section 106.3.5 (hidden in that first volume none of us ever look
>at) requires the architect or engineer of record to prepare a detailed
>written inspection program for approval as part of the permit process.  I
>was asked to prepare such a plan for a project in the City of El Segundo a
>couple of months ago.  I did, but am wondering why I've never been asked
>before or since, in El Segundo or elsewhere.  I am also wondering whether
>ours is the only practice that doesn't routinely provide such a document
>with drawings, specifications and calculations.  Does any body out there
>have thoughts or comments?

THE BUILDING OFFICIAL IN EL SEGUNDO IS RON DARVILLE.  He has been very
active in the ICBO Basin Chapter and is seriously concerned with the
quality issues.  He has been supportive of the development of a Regional
Special Inspection Authority concept to help standardize the requirements
for Special Inspectors throughout the Basin Chapter's 88 or so cities.
There are other cities that are requiring compliance with this code section
such as Santa Monica, Thousand Oaks, and Calabassas.

>Drew A. Norman, S.E.
>Drew A. Norman and Associates

R. Sandy Pringle       STRUCTURAL INSPECTION CONSULTANTS Inc.
sandyp(--nospam--at)sic-inc.com 	 (800)598-1970    Fax(310)376-5294
http://www.sic-inc.com	 Hermosa Beach & Redondo Beach, CA

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. -Bertrand Russell