Re: Pea Gravel Concrete

We almost always allow a pea gravel mix for residential grade beams, but we
usually require that the mix design be submitted to our office for review.  In
that way, we can address concerns such as water/cement ratios and the like
which were brought up in previous responses.  My experience is that the
contractor's use the pea gravel because of congestion or they want to save
money on a smaller pump and hose.  Generally speaking, a pea gravel mix itself
is more expensive than a 1" rock mix.  As a bottom line, as long as the
submitted mix design meets all of our structural criteria (strength, etc.), I
see no reason to reject it.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Structural Engineering