Contractor hired Deputy Inspectors -Reply

Mr. Norman, as a licensed engineer and especially as a S.E., you have a
duty to inform the local agency regarding your concerns.  In addition,
coming up through the inspection ranks, I know for a fact that such a
situation will sooner or later result in a conflict of interest for the
inspector at some time.  A wise man once told me don't make any
decision that you would not feel comfortable defending in a court of law
or to a reporter on the 11:00 P.M. news.  If an accident occurred
because of these circumstances that you were aware of, could you
justify your silence to a reporter being an S.E.?  Furthermore, since you
have aired your concerns already in a public forum of yours peers, you
now have an obligation to inform the appropriate officials to protect your
professional reputation.  If the local officials choose to do nothing
regarding your concerns, at least you will sleep better at night.

Rich Schlesinger, P.E.

>>> "Drew A. Norman, S.E." <dnormanse(--nospam--at)email.msn.com> 12/11/97
11:48am >>>
1994 UBC Section 1701.1 says that special inspectors shall be employed
by
the owner or by the architect or engineer of record acting as the
owner's
agent.  Section 106.3.5 is similar, but goes further, specifically
indicating the the inspector shall not be employed by the contractor or
any
other person responsible for the work.  It has been my experience,
particularly on smaller projects, that the majority of owners, contractors
and inspectors are unaware of or ignore these provisions.  Even in Los
Angeles, where the prescribed daily report form for the deputies
requires
them to certify that they were not employed by the contractor, I routinely
encounter inspection reports signed by inspectors who I know were
selected
and paid by builders.  I struggle with how big an issue to make of this.
Does anyone have any relevant thoughs or suggestions.

Drew A. Norman, S.E.
Drew A. Norman and Associates