Re: Performance Objectives

At 03:11 PM 12/10/97 +0500, you wrote:

>Per Bruce Resnick:
>
>> Perhaps we could codify structures into A, B, and C levels.
>> "C" level would be code minimum as it exists now.  Levels "A"
>> and "B" could represent code increases in lateral design (say
>> 25% or 50% more seismic), and vertical design (higher live
>> load and/or deflection criteria).  The advantage to codifying

Just to continue this dicussion, I'd like to throw in a comment that there
is a ranking of "quality" or "effectiveness" of buildings in the code. It
comes into play with resistance to fire. Everyone involved in commercial
construction should be familiar with the various construction types that a
building will fall into. The type of construction allowed by the bulding
code depends, for the most part, on the acceptable level of fire hazard to
the building. In high rise and other buildings in which a large number of
people can be at risk, the level of performance is raised by the code. On
the other hand, a small low-density building can be built to a much lower
level of fire safety.

The structural sections of our code, the SBCCI, which are probably similar
to others, already have some loading coefficients which depend on the
"importance" of a structure. However, there is no tie to a building "type".

I could well imagine that the least restrictive building type,
"combustible, unsprinklered and unprotected", could be open to construction
to prescriptive code standards. These are usually fairly small and no more
than 2 stories. The more restrictive building types that allow for larger
building areas and more stories could be limited to performance type codes,
codes which are not normally used by non-professionals and can't really be
enforced by building inspectors (inspectors and plan reviewers are not
usually trained to use performance codes in my part of the country). In our
state code, we no longer even have design information on loads...we are
referred to ASCE 7. Steel is pretty much left out and a designer/builder
has to use the ASCE and other steel construction references.

Perhaps some of the building officials that peruse this list will comment
on how the structural safety of buildings can be more closely tied to the
basic building "types".

Ted Partrick