Stamping Plans - A new question

I received a call from a client (an architect) whose client purchased a
steel stud home designed and manufactured in Texas for use in Los Angeles.
The home was designed using steel straps for lateral bracing rather than
plywood shear walls.
The manufacturer did not provide the foundation analysis and would only
stamp the plans and calcs for their product.
The city required another engineer for the installation and design of a slab
on grade - no unusual soils conditions here, basic minimum code value City
of L.A. slab on grade. The architect hired an engineer for the foundation,
but the engineer would not take responsibility for the structure (and
rightly so).
The City refused the plans stating that they wanted only one engineer of
record and neither the manufacture of the home or the foundation engineer
was willing.

You can see where this is going. The client has only one choice as I see it.
They must hire an engineer to redesign or justify the original design and
details. Would it be legal for an engineer who agrees with the original
design and detailing to approve the set even though it was not created under
his direct supervision or he was not involved in the original design
process?

If it is not legal, how do we protect the public or force the out-of-state
engineer to insure that his product is buildable in another state where he
may not be licensed?

Any suggestions?

Dennis S. Wish PE