Re:STAADIII vs SAP2000

Just to throw in my two bits:

I have used SAP90, RISA3D and SAP2000 for various projects.
RISA3D is definitely the easiest program to use, and I tend to use it when
I am doing preliminary analyses, because it lets me model basic frames
rather quickly.

SAP90 is a very good program, especially for doing shell analyses for
structures like R/C folded plates.  However, it is a real pain to have to
use SAPIN to create a model, then use DOS to run it an finally SAPLOT to
see the results.

SAP2000 is also a good program with more features than SAP90, but is a bit
buggy at this time.

I would say that the program you choose would depend on the applications
you plan to use it for.  If you are running very large, complex models with
a lot of elements I would recommend SAP - we just finished a retrofit
project for an R/C frame structure, and tried to do it on RISA3D.  The
model involved about 7 million terms, and we had real trouble running it.
Furthermore, RISA3D does not allow you to save your results; hence, you
have to run it every time you start RISA3D up, and for large models with
long solution times (more than, say, 30 minutes) this can be inconvenient.
The SAP series all save the run results.

One thing about RISA, though, is that they seem to be very responsive to
user input regarding new features.  Even though RISA3D is very inexpensive,
it does have tension/compression only members that can be used for static
runs, a very useful feature.  They are also planning to convert to WIN95
(right now the program is still basically DOS based, although it works
pretty well within WIN95).

T. Eric Gillham PE