Re: Computer Utility recommendation - my solution

From: Lew Midlam <Lew.Midlam(--nospam--at)lcm.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Monday, December 15, 1997 5:38 AM
Subject: Re: Computer Utility recommendation - my solution

>After a 'wipe-out' I'm left with a formatted but empty partition.
Seagate's
>Backup Exec software (that comes with the tape drive) provides for
>'full-restore' utility, which creates a 'start-up/restore' floppy.  Boot
from
>that floppy and you can fdisk, format, and restore a full partition.
>
>Lew
>======================

Just be sure that your last backup did not contain the glitch or corrupted
file that shut your system down to begin with.

BTW, rather than use fdisk to partition a large drive, I highly recommend
Partition Magic from PowerQuest. Partition Magic allows you to partition a
hard drive into smaller drives based upon Cluster size. This squeezes the
most space out of your hard drive (I'll explain this one another time).
The real beauty of the program is that you do not have to format your drive
or loose the information on your hard drive to set it up. Furthermore, if
you find one partition is getting tight on space and the partition next to
it has space to spare, you can adjust the size of the partitions without
reformating or losing data.
I've used the program for almost two years and find it to be invisible and
powerful with complete safety of my data. I never experienced a crash or
problem due to this program.

Surf it out on the web to learn more about it. The program is about $60.00
and is available at almost all software retailers. I don't have the latest
version but it will partition in 32-bit mode. Be careful of this feature, I
don't think Windows 95 is particularly compatible with this feature as yet.
Read some of the info on the Net regarding this.

Dennis