Re: Stamping Plans - A new question -Reply -Reply

 I have had this problem on a job in Santa Ana where I
designed the structure, another engineer designed the truss repair and
new
truss design (through the truss fabricator - heavy bow string trusses).
My point is that it should be reasonable to have one engineer of record
as a
coordinator, but only make him/her responsible for the interaction of the
structural elements - not the failure of a proprietary part.

Any thoughts?

Dennis S. Wish PE

There are many instances in which an engineer may use proprietary
parts (e.g., anchors, connectors, etc.)  However, the engineer of
record is supposed to review the "product," its design allowable, and its
application on the project at hand.  Then, the engineer of record stamps
the overall  plans (which includes the proprietary part) taking on the
responsibility for the entire project.  If anything was to go wrong with
that "product," that's an issue to be resolved later by the "product"
supplier (who provided the design values)  and a lawyer.