Re[2]: STAADIII vs SAP2000

     We just completed a fairly detailed review of current analysis
     software and have concluded that RISA 3D is the best (in our opinion)
     for most 2D and 3D analysis with SAP 2000 recommended for high end
     uses (time history, brick elements, steady state dynamics...)

     RISA 3D will handle a fairly large problem (almost 10,000 members for
     version 3.01) and is quick and easy to use.  We ARE comfortable with
     the plate elements and the dynamic analysis.  We have run independent
     checks on the results and they compare well.  RISA has everything you
     need for normal code dynamic analysis (Response spectrum).

     STAAD III is still used here mainly because people are used to it.
They
     have had significant QA problems in the past and are still struggling
with
     that.

     GT STRUDL is a good "high end" program but does not have the user
friendly
     interface that SAP 2000 has.

     Ed Haninger
     Fluor Daniel
     ed.haninger(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com