Re: SAP2000, RISA3D, and

. > You probably write your own programs to solve your engineering problems
. > (let me guess, DOS right?) or worse, do most of your calculations by hand
. > (still!).

You are absolutely right, Bill!  At least I know what I am doing.  In a
recent posting to this listservice, there was a request for a computer
program that would design/analyze a combined footing with the loads offset
from the geometric center in both directions.  In the time that it took to
compose and post the message, not counting the time to read and digest the

If I am going to be responsible for a program or analysis error, then *I*
want to be the one to make *that* error.  I don't want to be responsible for
someone else's error that I have no idea was made, nor who made it.

. > I have not run across any software author that "seals" his application ...

Neither have I, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't!

. > This is clearly the responsibility of the structural engineer of record.

Why is sealing someone else's work the responsibility of the structural
engineer of record?  The person(s) who wrote the program are the ones that
have selected the method/criteria for analysis/design and *they* are doing
the arithmetic to come up with the solution, so why should the the structural
engineer seal *their* work and assume responsibility for that work?

. > One exception to the above is in regards to new software offered to the
. > public.

**ALL** software is available to the public!  When was the last time you were
asked for your engineering license and experience before you were sold an
engineering program?  Some ads for engineering software state that you don't
have to be experienced to use it.

Were you ever told when you reported a "bug" or error in an engineering
program not to mention it to anyone else?  (I was!)

How do the programmers handle "bugs" and errors?  Do they just provide the
reportee with a work around or correction?  Do they notify all of their
licensed users of the "bug"/error or do they do that only for *major*
"bugs"/errors?  How do they determine what is a *major* "bug"/error and what
is not?  What are the qualifications of the persons responsible for the
program?  What are their names?  Are they licensed structural engineers or
are they just computer programmers that are using formulae out of some book?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona