Re[2]: Laptop Computers on International Airplanes

     Dennis,

     This warning message was sent to us from Ken Hall who is the General
     Manager of the Texaco General Engineering Department (GED).  I would
     consider him a reliable source, however I do not know him personally.

     I called Sabena-Belgian World Airlines who could not confirm or deny
     the problem since this seems to be particular to the new Airbus 340
     operating in Europe.

     One interesting thing they did say was that all their new planes are
     equipped with a seat plug outlet specifically to power portable
     computers, HOWEVER, this feature has been turned off due to
     "unspecified technical problem" that arose during testing and
     implementation.

     Best I could come up with but it would still be worthwhile doing the
     simple paper clip test just to be safe.

     Thomas Hunt
     Fluor Daniel