Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: CE or SE - No Arguments, just need some advice!

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
It is my understanding that a structural project that is reviewed by DSA or
OSHPD requires an SE. I have worked on Kaiser MOB's (medical office
buildings) including a radiology office, that never went to DSA, only to the
local building department for review. However a mammography light fixture
support did go to DSA.  IMHO, the project will ultimately require an SE if
it goes for permit and construction.

Jeff Smith
-----Original Message-----
From: Lew Midlam <Lew.Midlam(--nospam--at)>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at) <seaoc(--nospam--at)>
Date: Wednesday, December 17, 1997 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: CE or SE - No Arguments, just need some advice!

>California Chaptered Bill SB970 requires that construction of any project
for a
>hospital that involves structural elements shall be under the responible
>of an architect or a structural engineer (go figure).
>I offer nothing here other than a pointer to the bill.  Good luck in
>out what it means, or whether it applies in this case.
>Lew Midlam. PE
>> wish wrote:
>> I received a call from a local hospital who is building a new Mammography
>> center. The room already exists, however they want a local engineer to
>> if the structure can take the load of the new equipment. The structure is
>> Spancrete building and they have all of the plans. After I agreed to meet
>> the site on Friday it occured to me that I may not be able to do this
>> of limitations of my Civil License.
>> Although this does not require a design - it's pretty much a verification
>> the distriuted loads against the posted live and dead load for the room -
>> the client need an SE to perform this simple calc.
>> Dennis Wish PE