Plan Checkers Responsibilites

The other day I submitted some structural plans for a sesimic upgrade of
the ground floor of a three story wood framed residential building. I went
through the project with the plan checker at the counter, he did a cursory
review of the calcs for proper lateral coeficient, reviewed the plans and
details,  special inspection requirements,  etc. I received an over the
counter approval after several hours at the building department. I have
done this before on a few other jobs that did not have planning
department/handicap/fire/occupancy/etc issues. I explained this to an
architect colleague and he was shocked, implying that the plan checker
could not adequatley plan check this type of project over the counter.

Can anyone tell me if there is a uniform requirement for plan checkers
responsibilites?  Is it up the the local building department to develop
plan check standards? Is it the plan checkers responsibilty to check every
line of every calc.If a plan checker knows that a certain engineer is
consistantly bringing in either sloppy work or very good work, are likely
to to adjust the rigor of the plan check? It is clear to me that a plan
checkers approach to plan checking is as varied as their personalities.
Regards,

Jeff Smith. S.E.
phone: (415) 543-8651
fax: (415) 543-8679