Re: Plan Checkers Responsibilites

Jeff,
I am assuming that there is no mandatory measure in Los Angeles for the
seismic upgrade of lightframed structures. I know that the residential
repair and retrofit provisions are entirely voluntary, but multi-unit
residential is not applicable to these provisions unless the city has
adopted an ordinance since I left Los Angeles.
This may account for the 'relative' speed in the plan check cycle. Since
there is no mandatory measure, the plan checker is not even obligated to
"check" the plan but should issue a permit to do the work based upon the
provisions provided by the architect/engineer. In the past, the city was
only concerned that we specified hardward and mechanical connections in
accordance with their prescriptive methods. I recently received the latest
(about a year or so old) from Steve Perlof SE in Venice. I have not reviewed
them as yet.
The only problems I ever ran into with plan check was that they wanted a
site plan with all setbacks shown - which was ludicrous as far as I was
concerned. We had no intention of moving the building to tie it to it's
foundation.

Considering that this is not a normal submital type of plan, I don't feel
that the checker needs to do anything more than assure that it complies with
their prescriptive measure or at least assure that your loads for cripple
walls and connections are adequate based upon your analysis - as well as
checking for notes pertaining to SO and any inspection that may be needed
for epoxy instalations.

Dennis Wish PE