Traditional Timber Frame House

I am working on a traditional timber frame home on ocean front property in New
England.  The post-and-beam construction uses large timbers to construct a
series of bents which define the cross-section of the house.  The timbers are
combined with mortise and tenon type connections.  There are no nails, light
metal hangers, etc. used.  1" diameter oak pegs are used instead.

My question is with regard to the lateral system of such a building.  The
building faces open ocean and will get some pretty heavy wind storms.  Does any
one have experience or suggestions as to how to approach the lateral design of
such a building?  The little bit of literature I've found indicates that walls
are not used for rigidity.  Are the bents to be considered as some type of
moment frame?  What about in the direction perpendicular to the bents?

Thank you in advance for your responses.