Re: MISC - Computer File Storage

From: CanitzCF <CanitzCF(--nospam--at)aol.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Monday, December 22, 1997 6:22 PM
Subject: MISC - Computer File Storage

>I visited a computer show this past Saturday bearing in mind the recent
thread
>which addressed HD crashes and how to avoid/plan for same. One vendor was
>selling the HP Colorado tape back-up with a 3.2 meg capacity for
approximately
>$140.00 which I thought worth the price considering the amount of time
>required to recover lost files, data, etc. Has anyone used Colorado? If so,
>any comments or suggestions?
>

>Charlie Canitz, PE
>Bel Air, MD

Charlie,
First it is a 3.2 Gig tape backup (not meg). Second, it's from Hewlett
Packard so it can't be bad. Checkout this web address for more information
on your tape drive:
http://www.hp.com/tape/colorado/prod.html
The T3000 (which is the formal name for your drive) is a combined effort of
HP Hardware and the well known Colorado tape backup software. Like my 2 Gig
drive from Sony (Iomega), your tape drive is 3.2 Gigs using compression in
the backup software. The actual uncompressed tape capacity is 1.6 Gigs. You
may not be able to get the full 3.2 Gig of backup since this is an
approximation based upon how much your files can be compressed. For example,
If you tried to backup ZIP files (using compression from PKZip?) you would
only be able to get 1.6 Gigs of zip files on your tape. However, these files
are already compressed and would expand out to at least 3.2 Gigs.
Confused? Don't be, consider files the same as a sponge with air spaces. Zip
utilities take the space (very simplified explanation) out of the files and
compresses them down. A similar technology is used by the Tape Backup
software. Since the tape software does the same as the PKZip software you
will not gain additional compression. Now, if you backup documents and
drawing files to your tape, the Colorado software will apply compression and
you will be able to get approximately 3.2 gigs of drawings and doc's on a
1.6 gig tape.
Considering I spent about the same for my 2 Gig (compressed capacity) tape
drive, I think you got a good deal.
Check out your drives technical "white-paper" at:
http://www.hp.com/tape/colorado/t3000.html

Good luck with it.
Dennis