Re: Suggestion on LRFD book

     Sam Chang wrote:

<<  I have been avoiding the LRFD for the last 10 years.  Most designs I
have
seen are still in ASD.  Is LRFD mature and important enough that I should
really
pick it up?  Assuming that I looking forward about 10 more years in the main

stream of structural engineering profession.

      I saw these two books in the bookstore. They are both thick and
hard to read.  If you recommend LRFD, which one should I buy?

Structural Steel Designer's Handbook 2nd ed.
      Rober L. BrockenBrough & Frederic S. Merritt
      McGraw Hill

Steel Structures, Design and Behavior 4th. ed.   LRFD
      Charles G. Salmon & John E. Johnson
      U of Wisconsin
      Harper Collins Pub.

      Any other book that is better for me? >>

I think that over the next 10 years, we will all be using LRFD design for
steel
structures.  All of the graduate engineers will have learned it at college.

The book by Salmon & Johnson is excellent, and goes into the derivations and

mathematical theory of all the LRFD (and ASD) equations.  A lesser priced
book,
often used as an undergraduate textbook is "Structural Steel Design, LRFD
Method, 2nd Edition" by Jack C. McCormac.  I have and use both; you can't go

wrong with either.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Inc.