Wood: Using 2x ledger in

Dennis,

While cross-grain tension is a valid concern, I don't think that the
thickness of a ledger should be any indication of its ability to resist
cross-grain tension.  In fact, Section 2310.2 (1994 UBC) requires
cross-grain tension be resisted by mechanical reinforcement.

I think that if you check your Simpson catalog for nailing of face mounted
joist hangers, you will see that the minimum nailing into the ledger (header)
is 10d nails (3" long) and 16d (3.5" long) which would require a minimum 4"
(nom.) ledger.

Another concern with face mounted joist hangers on ledgers is the location of
the hanger nails in relation to the connection of the ledger to the wall.  If
the ledger is bolted to a wall and the hangers are nailed to the ledger below
the level of the bolts, the ledger will be subject to cross-grain tension at
the bolt line.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona