Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: Columns with less then 1% vert. reinforcement[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
- Subject: Re: Columns with less then 1% vert. reinforcement
- From: MJSLAYSMAN <MJSLAYSMAN(--nospam--at)aol.com>
- Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 19:17:16 EST
I think worrying about the steel percentage being below 1 percent when the actual caluclated percentage is .9753 percent is silly. If the column was 17-3/4 inches square you would be at 1 percent. Remember, these columns calculated 35-50 years ago were caluclated with a slide rule not a computer. This seems to be a case of carrying computation too far. I would much more be worried about the confining steel, i.e. ties -- their size and spacing than the "low percentage" of vertical steel if we are only talking .975 percent. Mel Slaysman, P.E., S.E.
- Prev by Subject: Columns with less then 1% vert. reinforcement
- Next by Subject: Computer Utility recommendation
- Previous by thread: Columns with less then 1% vert. reinforcement
- Next by thread: Book/Journals Donations