Re: Columns with less then 1% vert. reinforcement

I think worrying about the steel percentage being below 1 percent when the
actual caluclated percentage is .9753 percent is silly.  If the column was
17-3/4 inches square you would be at 1 percent.  Remember, these columns
calculated 35-50 years ago were caluclated with a slide rule not a computer.
This seems to be a case of carrying computation too far.  I would much more be
worried about the confining steel, i.e. ties -- their size and spacing than
the "low percentage" of vertical steel if we are only talking .975 percent.

Mel Slaysman, P.E., S.E.